Coconut oil is becoming increasingly more popular and not just for sun tan lotion. There is an increase in coconut products in the grocery store. Coconut milk is becoming a great dairy substitute. Coconut Oil is being used more and more for cooking, whitening your teeth, and body care. Coconut oil is said to aid in loosing weight, improve brain function and has been classified as superfood.
As with every miracle food there are a few things you should know;
- Stay away from Hydrogenated Coconut Oil. Look for “virgin” on the label and make sure it has zero trans fats.
- It is a great substitute for butter, especially for a vegan diet. It does not have a strong flavour.
- It does have saturated fat, be sure to consult your doctor if you are on a low saturated fat diet.
- Watching your calorie intake? Coconut oil is high in calories. Be sure to check the label and make adjustment accordingly. As with everything moderation is the key.
- Great as a moisturizer, keep a jar in the bathroom and apply right after a bath, shower or washing your face while your skin is still damp. Add brown sugar and keep in the shower as a great body scrub. I could keep going with beauty tips and how you can use coconut oil on your body – google it for more ideas.
- Whiten your teeth, this one I cannot find confirmation that this works. A friend of mine swears by it. Apparently you put a table spoon or so in your mouth a swish it around like mouth wash.
- It is believed to have antibacterial and anti-fungal and some say it is great as a diaper rash cream. I haven’t tried this one 😉 But this would also mean it would be great on your feet, especially if you are prone to athletes foot.
- Coconut oil contains Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs), which is a medium chain fatty acid and metabolizes differently in the body. Some believe that this aids in weight loss, but has not been proven. They can also have positive effects on several brain disorders.
- Hair loves coconut oil, it protects the hair and provides a natural sunscreen.
There is so much more than my little list, I encourage you to do your own research.
Here is a body scrub recipe I made for Christmas presents one year:
1 1/4 cups of brown or raw sugar
6-8 tablespoons of organic unrefined coconut oil
15-20 drops of vanilla essential oil
If your coconut oil is solid at room temperature, briefly warm just enough to aid in the melting the process. Then in a small bowl combine your coconut oil and brown sugar, blending well enough to eliminate any lumps. Then add your vanilla essential oil to the mixture drop by drop, being sure to blend mix after each addition. Once mixed, scrub should be placed in an airtight container and used within six months. Apply your scrub to pre-moistened skin, being sure to massage it in using circular motions.
I added 1/4 cup of brewed coffee grounds in mine. Coffee ground are supposed to aid in cellulite reduction and a friend of mine found that hers provided a tanning effect to her skin.